Simeon’s Birth

Note: The following is the story of Simeon’s birth as I remember it. If you don’t particularly want to read the gory details of birth, you might just want to scroll down to view photos and read the final paragraph to read Simeon’s stats. . . which I’m afraid will be a long way down, as this is incredibly wordy =0)

On Thursday (Feb. 12) afternoon, I received a phone call from our midwife Jessica notifying me that they had received the results of my labwork—and it didn’t look good. She and our doc had talked and decided that I should probably go in right away to be induced—that I either had pre-eclampsia or HELLP Syndrome. She said untreated (and “treatment” was birth), my organs—particularly the liver—could begin to shut down. She assured me she would be available for whatever we would need, and suggested I call Dr. G (my OB) right away.

When I got off the phone, I called Allyn at work—all the while trying not to cry—to alert him that it was go time. He made plans to come home, and I called the doctor’s office to get more information. Dr. G’s nurse had not been told anything yet, so while she was talking to the doctor, I began running around figuring out what on the “to do” list needed to happen before we took off.

When Allyn arrived home, he offered to pack bags, so I began listening to the Hypnobabies Fear Clearing track to attempt to calm myself and regroup. It was tough knowing an induction­­—and the extra risk factors—would change all of my plans. And not knowing any details about what the labs revealed, I was afraid of what the medical team saw.

Dr. G called back and, as expected, suggested that coming in was the best thing. I asked if it had to be St Anthony’s, or if we could go to MoBap, which we had decided was our back-up plan if I became too risky for the Birth and Wellness Center since both the doc and midwives have privileges there. As it turned out, he was on call at St. Anthony’s for the weekend and would not be able to go to another hospital.

And, of course, this made me even more panicked. We never toured St. Anthony’s, and I was not a fan of the information I’d received there for gestational diabetes. I knew they didn’t have the same sort of natural birthing culture that it seemed MoBap championed, and I was worried about giving up EVERYthing from my birth plan. While I knew Dr. G was supportive of the sort of birth I wanted, I also realized that doctors are only a small part of the process. So while I continued attempting to listen to tracks, Allyn called Jessica back to ask questions about what it would mean if we were somewhere else. She implied that with the diagnosis, facility really didn’t matter . . . but after talking to Allyn, consulting again with Dr. G, and finally agreeing to listen to myself, we decided to go to MoBap, even if that meant a doctor we didn’t know. 10997298_10100654072116062_6719660482011881525_n

I continued to listen to Hypnobabies tracks while in the car, trying to wrap my head around the idea that this was the time, despite the fact that I was having no signs of birthing time (Hypnobabies term for labor).

We were admitted to MoBap under one of the Birth and Wellness Center’s partner doctors. Downstairs we ran into the nurse who had given us the tour only four days before. It was nice to see someone we knew!

When we got to Admitting, they received word that we were a direct check in (not a triage patient), and so we went straight from the check-in desk to a labor/delivery room. A nurse drew more labs and began trying to insert an IV. As it turned out, my veins were terrified (their words) and ran to hide. Three or four different nurses attempted to insert the IV, followed by two different people from anesthesia. At one point, one was placed, only to have our nurse (who was a great nurse and felt absolutely awful) trip over it and pull it out. I finally ended up with an IV on the inside of my wrist—the only place they could find a vein that wouldn’t roll or collapse.

My new doctor, Dr. M, arrived to introduce himself. He affirmed the pre-eclampsia/HELLP diagnosis and suggested that my new labwork showed my platelets had already dropped again—and more than they would like. So I was put on Oxytocin to jumpstart labor and Magnesium Sulfate to minimize any neurological impact of the P-E/HELLP.

Magnesium is a rather nasty drug. Our midwife Nicole, who was assisting at a C-section around the time I was induced, stopped by to check in on us. She apologized for the Magnesium and suggested I might begin feeling like I was made out of sand bags. She added “I will say this only once . . . “ and instructed that despite my hopes for limited interventions, if I needed an epidural it might actually be helpful as one of the side effects that can be problematic in other women could help me: lowering blood pressure. This scared me a bit as midwives are not known for recommending epidurals. I wondered what she thought I would be experiencing—and also what criteria I should make the decision on. Was the recommendation one for comfort or one for safety? 10942513_10100654075025232_4721343776019534847_n

The Magnesium meant that I was confined to bed, which was something I never considered happening. I knew that emergency C-section could be a risk, or that my diabetes could dictate needing a hospital setting in order to monitor my and Simeon’s glucose levels, but I always pictured either surgery or having a birthing time that allowed for walking around, multiple positions, a birthing tub (we had pre-ordered one at MoBap just in case we ended up there. The plan for the Birthing Center had been a water birth). Being on my back was tough mentally—particularly knowing that I really had no other options. Both Simeon and I were under constant monitoring.

Overnight as pressure waves (Hypnobabies term for contractions) began and strengthened, I continued listening to Hypnobabies tracks and trying to concentrate on my cues—going into deep hypnosis for pressure waves, breathing “peace” to both strengthen my relaxation and target hypnoanesthesia where needed. Since our room had a cd player, we were using it to play tracks (rather than using my cellphone). At some point a disc ran out while Allyn was sleeping. After I could no longer stand being alone in the quiet, I began attempting to wake him up, which eventually involved breaking the rules a bit and maneuvering so I could reach him with my foot. “I need you!” I said. I think we put cds on repeat after that.

Allyn and I talked about the things I would be doing if I weren’t stuck in bed—how the tub truly sounded amazing. In class, we had practiced a number of various positions and techniques, and all of my favorites involved being able to move freely (walking, slow dancing, sitting on a ball, being on my hands and knees). It was good to be able to identify how this differed and figure out how to adapt to the reality of the moment.

Unfortunately, being confined to bed while on fluids also meant that I got to experience the joy of bedpans. I did, however, become an expert at timing the getting up and down to be before or after pressure waves.

I began to cough and feel sick leading up to pressure waves. The nurse asked if I wanted to try being on my hands and knees—which I desperately wanted to do, but assumed was off limits. I wasn’t able to hold myself in that position long (granted, my perception of “long” is likely askew. It may have been an hour or more)—which I imagine is partially the fault of the Mag—but it was glorious. 10991270_10100654588640942_7630275149293767908_n

In the morning, Nicole texted Allyn stating that she would still be on-call that day and was available whenever we were ready for more consistent support. She came in shortly after, which was a great relief. She convinced the nurses to let me use a birthing ball since she and Allyn would be with me to give physical support, if needed. Using the ball really got things moving. I was able to rock during pressure waves, which both lowered my blood pressure and allowed Simeon to sink down lower.

I began feeling a little pushy, and Nicole encouraged me to relax into what my body wanted to do. My pressure wave grunts shifted, and I began to chant “open, open, open” during many of them. Apparently my grunts were significantly different enough to warrant shifting into the next phase, so I moved back to the bed and tried a variety of positions to attempt to continue progress and allow Simeon to move into the world.

We switched to the “Pushing Baby Out” track, which continued to play in the background for the next several hours. It seems pushing Simeon out was a group process. I apparently had a tight circle of tissue that didn’t fully want to yield to let Simeon by. At the end, whenever a pressure wave would reach its height, Allyn and a nurse each took one of my legs, Nicole worked on keeping the progress Simeon made by maneuvering the tissue circle, and I was pulling on the stirrup/handlebars in rowing fashion. Luckily his monitor revealed that he continued to do well, so I was able to continue the process. Dr. M reappeared to offer some suggestions (the above may have been one of them) and provide support for the last bit of Simeon’s arrival.

Once it was obvious that Simeon would be with us shortly, the room filled with a team to evaluate Simeon. The part of me that was not working hard really wanted to laugh, as Hypnobabies tends to make fun of “purple pushing”—the holding of breath and pushing to particular counts . . . but it is exactly what I had to do—and the thing that ultimately worked to birth my son. Allyn said later that he was convinced that I was at the end of my energy and would need some other sort of intervention (it was suggested that a vacuum could be used). He suggested my pure stubbornness is what allowed me to continue. I responded that my body didn’t give me any choice, that it was the one calling the shots.

When Simeon was born, it was obvious something was wrong. The plan had been to wait until the cord stopped pulsing to cut it, but Allyn was immediately instructed in what to do and had to cut the cord immediately. My child was whisked away to a warming table with a team of various doctors and nurses. While I was desperately trying to pay attention to what was happening, Nicole and Dr. M began instructing me to push again to birth the placenta. As soon as it was out, I wasen something to help my uterus contract to stop my bleeding. Dr. M was checking me for any tears (there were none), and I still had not heard my son cry. Turns out he didn’t take his first breath for over a minute. After a birthing time that felt considerably shorter than it actually was, that minute felt like the longest, scariest thing I had experienced. He finally cried out and was shortly handed back to me for skin-to-skin. I learned later his initial APGAR score was a 4. It jumped to a 9 on second evaluation. 10850223_10100654651889192_6198589766057626_n

Once my family came in the room, I noticed how completely exhausted I was. Twenty-four hours later, I learned the Magnesium, more than the difficult process, was responsible for my extreme exhaustion. As soon as I was taken off the IV, the world around me cleared and I had more energy (despite the lack of sleep I got in the hospital during the two nights before). Once I recognized the impact of the Magnesium, I couldn’t believe I was able to do all I did to birth my son. I suppose the body acts on its own to do what it needs (even with all the other ways my body did NOT want to cooperate—diabetes, pre-eclampsia, HELLP).

Allyn was, of course, my partner in it all—constantly offering me water, helping me into whatever position I needed, placing his hand on my head or arm for our “relax” cue, running interference when someone would ask questions during a pressure wave, calling for nurses when I needed them (or when one of my monitors needed them), and simply being with me. If the above doesn’t mention him much, it is only because he was so much a part of things that I forget to separate his work from mine (you know, aside from the fact that Simeon was clearly birthed from me!).

I am incredibly thankful for MoBap and my amazing birthing team for allowing me to continue with a “natural” birth (it was still being called natural, although it seems silly to label it as such given the Magnesium, Oxytocin, and fluids—and all the monitors I was hooked up to). Even with my limitations and complications, I felt like I was able to make choices and have as much control as the situation allowed. The nursing staff was amazing, and having Nicole with me was so great. She was with me the whole day—and I just realized skipped lunch in the process. While Dr. M might get the official credit for assisting, she was truly the one coaching me and doing the hands on work (very literally). I can’t recommend midwife care—and the Birth and Wellness Center in particular—enough. 1510647_10100655000051472_6092908500291081931_n

The birth was not at all what I anticipated. I felt like I had to adapt and reframe everything I learned in Hypnobabies class. But it was ultimately still the empowering experience I’d hoped for. Nurses—and the doctor—kept commenting that I was the calmest person they had ever seen in labor. The nurses who had been with us during the day (when Simeon was born) stated afterward that I should teach classes. Even though I felt like I wasn’t able to fully use my Hypnobabies tools, I know they are what kept me in a state of relative peace. During the long pushing phase, I kept being told “I know this hurts . . . “ but pain was never my issue. I don’t know that I can say I had a pain-free experience, but I know in those moments my energy level—not any sense of pain—was what kept me from being able to maintain pushes as long as they wanted . . . until my body took over, and I couldn’t stop any longer. I felt a lot of intensity and certainly a lot of pressure, but whatever pain I had never escalated to a point where it was ever something I focused on. In fact, while I was on the birthing ball, I recall thinking “I could definitely do this again.” I felt so in tune with my body in that moment, it was pretty amazing.

Simeon is also pretty amazing. Our boy was born 21” long and weighed in at 7lbs, 4oz after his first meal. His Dad and I believe him to be the most stunningly beautiful creature we’ve ever seen. I think we’ll keep him.



Filed under Uncategorized

2 responses to “Simeon’s Birth

  1. Allyne Dault

    Thanks for sharing! It took some of the “sting” out since we couldn’t be there with you, physically, anyway. We are so proud of what you and Allyn have accomplished with the birth of Simeon. Not to mention what God has blessed us with……a beautiful, healthy grandson.

  2. Paula SB

    You should totally feel like a rock star! Thanks for sharing this precious story. I remember when I went into pre-term labor with Liam how maddening it was that everything we had planned–birth center etc. flew out the window but like you I was so grateful that our Midwife and a midwife for our church were with us. It was simultaneously the most terrifying and profoundly empowering experience of my life.

    So, so grateful that both you and Simeon are well. Much love to your family as you bond. I know that Simeon’s big brother and sister are also present with you in that circle of love. Carry on, rock star!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s